28 pieces of advice from professional property investors
Property has long been a sought after asset class for investors across the globe. Performing particularly well over the years - particularly in the UK and USA - those who’ve invested have been able to realise some enviable returns.
Whilst there are arguably more routes available to getting involved in property investment than ever before, the property ladder can be difficult to get started on, be that from a knowledge or a financial perspective.
But this doesn’t deter people wanting to get involved. New investors want to build their portfolio and experienced investors want to expand and diversify. And the variety that’s available with property investing means few would argue it’s an asset class to not become involved in - as long as you take the right advice and support.
Doing so professionally is without doubt a strong recommendation, but with so many seeing considerable gains from property over the years, their thoughts can be particularly inspiring. So on that note I’ve pulled together 28 of the most notable quotes from professional property investors from around the globe.
- “Real estate cannot be lost or stolen, nor can it be carried away. Purchased with common sense, paid for in full, and managed with reasonable care, it is about the safest investment in the world.” -- Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “Buy on the fringe and wait. Buy land near a growing city! Buy real estate when other people want to sell. Hold what you buy!” -- John Jacob Astor
- “Don’t wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate and wait.” -- Will Rogers
- “I still think buying a home is the best investment any individual can make.” -- John Paulson
- “Every person who invests in well-selected real estate in a growing section of a prosperous community adopts the surest and safest method of becoming independent, for real estate is the basis of wealth.” -- Theodore Roosevelt
- “If you’re not going to put money in real estate, where else?” -- Tamir Sapir
- “Games are won by players who focus on the playing field—not by those whose eyes are glued to the scoreboard. If you instead focus on the prospective price change of a contemplated purchase, you are speculating. There is nothing improper about that. I know, however, that I am unable to speculate successfully, and I am skeptical of those who claim sustained success at doing so.” -- Warren Buffett
- “It is a comfortable feeling to know that you stand on your own ground. Land is about the only thing that can’t fly away.” -- Anthony Trollope
- “In my experience, in the real-estate business past success stories are generally not applicable to new situations. We must continually reinvent ourselves, responding to changing times with innovative new business models.” -- Akira Mori
- “Now, one thing I tell everyone is learn about real estate. Repeat after me: real estate provides the highest returns, the greatest values and the least risk.” -- Armstrong Williams, entrepreneur
- “Land monopoly is not only monopoly, but it is by far the greatest of monopolies; it is a perpetual monopoly, and it is the mother of all other forms of monopoly.” -- Winston Churchill
- “Owning a home is a keystone of wealth… both financial affluence and emotional security.” -- Suze Orman
- “There have been few things in my life which have had a more genial effect on my mind than the possession of a piece of land.” -- Harriet Martineau
- “Real estate investing, even on a very small scale, remains a tried and true means of building an individual’s cash flow and wealth.” -- Robert Kiyosaki
- “Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good results.” -- Warren Buffett
- “I have always liked real estate; farm land, pasture land, timber land and city property. I have had experience with all of them. I guess I just naturally like ‘the good Earth,’ the foundation of all our wealth.” -- Jesse H. Jones
- “Buy real estate in areas where the path exists…and buy more real estate where there is no path, but you can create your own.” -- David Waronker
- “Buy land, they aren’t making anymore of it.” -- Mark Twain
- “The major fortunes in America have been made in land.” -- John D. Rockefeller
- “Ninety percent of all millionaires become so through owning real estate.” -- Andrew Carnegie
(NB: I appreciate this was true at the time of it being said (around the turn of the 20th century) and not so today, but I find it fascinating, and believe it still shows the potential of property today)
- “Everyone wants a piece of land. It’s the only sure investment. It can never depreciate like a car or washing machine. Land will only double its value in ten years.” – Sam Shepard
- “Real estate is an imperishable asset, ever increasing in value. It is the most solid security that human ingenuity has devised. It is the basis of all security and about the only indestructible security.” -- Russell Sage
- “Landlords grow rich in their sleep.” -- John Stuart Mill
- “The best investment on earth is earth.” -- Louis Glickman
- “You get recessions, you have stock market declines. If you don’t understand that’s going to happen, then you’re not ready, you won’t do well in the markets.” -- Peter Lynch
- “I view real estate as the most intriguing opportunity that I've seen in my business lifetime.” -- Richard Rainwater
- “A funny thing happens in real estate. When it comes back, it comes back up like gangbusters.” -- Barbara Corcoran
- “Before you start trying to work out which direction the property market is headed, you should be aware that there are markets within markets.” -- Paul Clitheroe
Showing the variety of the property market, amongst this list of quotes are some of the most successful investors, businessmen and businesswomen, as well as incredibly famous politicians and world leaders. They’ve invested in property and seen successes.
Continually developing and expanding, the opportunities available within property are plentiful. Buy-to-let really isn’t your only option and whether you’re looking to invest for growth or income, there are property investment opportunities available to suit your needs, requirements and expectations.